Friday, May 8, 2009

Dissertation Update

Since I returned from Germany, I have been busily reading and brainstorming on my doctoral thesis. The Berlin conference (see previous post) gave me several intriguing ideas to pursue. Following a meeting yesterday, Thursday, May 7th, with my advisor, I am happy to report that I now have a topic! It still deals with Stefan Zweig's novellas and novels, but now it is more concrete.

Specifically, I will be researching Stefan Zweig's philosopy of freedom as expressed across several of his novels and novellas, and comparing them to the views of some of his contemporaries, probably including Rudolf Steiner. For those that are wondering what books they should read of Stefan Zweig's, I recommend:

Clarissa
The Royal Game (or Chess Story) Original: Schachnovelle
The Post Office Girl (published for the first time in English in 2008) Original: Rausch der Verwandlung

No comments: